Communicating with Doctors when you're far away

Communicating with Doctors when you're far away

barbara89
What do you do when you're concerned that your loved one is not receiving the proper medical care, but you're too far away to accompany them to their appointments?

Ideally, I would like to move to the area to be there for her, but in the meantime, what else can I do?

Re: Communicating with Doctors when you're far away

Adriann Griffith
Your loved one is so fortunate to have someone who cares so much, even though you can't be there physically!  I know from firsthand experience with my own parents how frustrating it can be when you're not sure getting the complete picture--on health care or any other subject.  Is there someone there in town with your loved one--a trusted friend or relative or neighbor, maybe--who could be relied on to accompany your dear one to the doctor and then communicate with you? The professional caregivers for the company I work for have a form on which they take notes when they take a client to a doctor's appointment.  Would your loved one be receptive to bringing along a list of questions you've helped prepare to make sure the right things get asked while at the office?

Re: Communicating with Doctors when you're far away

barbara89
I'll have to ask if she'd be willing to have a professional go with her.  I like the idea of that because then I'd get a full report.  Thanks for the suggestion, Adriann.

Re: Communicating with Doctors when you're far away

Adriann Griffith
Hey, there's an educational video series at caregiverstress.com that might have some really valuable information for you:  Patient-Doctor Communication--check it out.
http://caregiverstress.com/educationalvideo

Re: Communicating with Doctors when you're far away

barbara89
Thanks, Adriann.

Re: Communicating with Doctors when you're far away

E.V. Wallace
Home Instead also just introduced a program called, "Answering the Call" which is a tool "kit" designed to help with managing doctor numbers, medications and health information.  Visit www.SeniorEmergencyKit.com or call us at (225) 819-8338 to get a copy.