Elderly hoarders?

texascare
That tv show, Hoarders is so shocking, it's causing a lot of interest in hoarding, and I'm wondering, how do you handle it when you see your elderly loved one start to pile up junk and resist throwing it away?
Alisa Meredith On Target 830.822.6589

Re: Elderly hoarders?

HISCtalk
Administrator
I would try to evaluate any underlying issues.  Is your loved one too tired or weak to straighten things out?  Is she depressed, not caring that things are piling up?  Is her eyesight worsening?

If nothing is obvious, try to start a conversation about it.  If it has been a while since her last Doctor's appointment, it might be a good time to schedule one and bring it up while you're there.
Home Instead Moderator

Re: Elderly hoarders?

MarkMullen
Usually, just talking to them and reasoning with them helps a lot.

But sometimes it doesn't.

I have a friend who's parents have been hoarders all their lives.  Whenever it's pointed out to them, they treat it as an insult: "How dare you tell me that I'm hoarding when I have multiple houses full of things I don't use, and I keep buying new houses instead of cleaning out the old ones!?"  Yeah, it doesn't really make sense, but that's what it comes down to every time it's brought up.

I think the best thing to do is to try to stop it before it gets that far.  Just don't act paranoid about everything they want to keep; not all of it is hoarding, sometimes it's sentimental.

Good luck!
Caregivers give care and they actually care, it's just what caregivers do!

RE: Elderly hoarders?

HISCtalk
Administrator

Thanks for your comment, Mark.  It often does come down to common sense, old-fashioned wisdom: Prevention is worth a pound of cure!

Alisa Meredith

SSM_JPGcropped
800.305.9420

subscribe-facebooksubscribe-twitter

Usually, just talking to them and reasoning with them helps a lot.

But sometimes it doesn't.

I have a friend who's parents have been hoarders all their lives.  Whenever it's pointed out to them, they treat it as an insult: "How dare you tell me that I'm hoarding when I have multiple houses full of things I don't use, and I keep buying new houses instead of cleaning out the old ones!?"  Yeah, it doesn't really make sense, but that's what it comes down to every time it's brought up.

I think the best thing to do is to try to stop it before it gets that far.  Just don't act paranoid about everything they want to keep; not all of it is hoarding, sometimes it's sentimental.

Good luck!

Caregivers give care and they actually care, it's just what caregivers do!

http://caregiver-forum.973090.n3.nabble.com/Elderly-hoarders-tp1957806p3402431.html

To unsubscribe from Elderly hoarders?, click here.

No virus found in this message.

Home Instead Moderator

RE: Elderly hoarders?

texascare