Informal caregiving vs Caregivers

francissmith
My husband and I are contemplating whether hiring a caregiver for my mom or we'll just take care of her. It's hard because we have 3 kids and I'm the one who does all the chores. What do you think is the best option for us? She's not sick, she's just too old to do things on her own. I'll appreciate your help!

Re: Informal caregiving vs Caregivers

markwalton
This post was updated on .
Statistics would show that 86% of informal caregivers are relatives and this is because of the fact that most people prefer to turn to their loved ones for assistance. Seniors and other individuals who need long term care prefer to stay home and rely on their relatives rather than hiring a skilled caregiver. It's the popular choice but it doesn't mean that this is the most fitting for people who need custodial care or skilled care. There are instances wherein informal caregivers can't provide proper care to their loved ones. You do not want that to happen to your mom and you want the best for her, right? It's ok to ask for help and hire a caregiver. In your case you have 3 kids and you do all the chores, it would be difficult for you to perform caregiving tasks. For your convenience and to make sure that your mom is getting the proper care she needs, I suggest that you should hire a caregiver.

Re: Informal caregiving vs Caregivers

HISCtalk
Administrator
Good Morning, Francis,

I'm sure you mom appreciates your kind concern! You may be relieved to know that you do not have to choose one or the other.

You may want to care for her as much as you can, and hire an in-home caregiver to give you some relief, or to care for the things that are uncomfortable for you to handle (personal care, etc.).

This arrangement often works well, as it allows for a lot of flexibility. You could start off with a day a week and then arrange for more as your needs and those of your mother change.

We're glad you came to the site and encourage you to contact the Home Instead Senior Care office in your location. They'll be happy to help you with your options.
Home Instead Moderator

Re: Informal caregiving vs Caregivers

bardanlacy
Firstly, I appreciated your idea about the care giver. Your mom will definitely feels so happy while doing these kind of helping things. We can get the best sources for these kind of services at online also. So, You must take care to step forward in the searching of care givers.

Home care in Welwyn