when loved one refuses to eat

Mary Jane
Trying to get my loved one to eat is becoming a challenge...I know that depression can affect ones appetite but this does not seem to be the case.  Just lack of interest in food and no desire at all to cook for ones self.   I know physically they are fine but I worry that soon this could turn into a serious medical problem.   How can I stimulate their interest in food or eating at all?

Re: when loved one refuses to eat

Adriann Griffith
This post was updated on .
Mary Jane, just being sensitive enough to catch the problem as it develops is huge.  Good for you, being proactive before the problem possibly worsens!  Eating's such a common concern with seniors...

It can be really hard to cook in smaller portions, for just one or two people; it sometimes seems hardly worth the effort to mess up the kitchen.  Could that be part of the problem?  If so, cooking in batches from which individual portions can be frozen might help.  I know some caregivers who help older folks freeze small portions of foods so that they can take a sort of mini-buffet out of the freezer and enjoy just a little of this and a little of that--whatever suits their fancy.

Or maybe the foods desired are just too labor-intensive to prepare--maybe someone could help a little with cooking duties. Or are diet restrictions or budget concerns making menu planning blah?  Maybe a new cookbook or some recipes suggestions from you could help.

Just a couple of ideas...hope this helps a bit!

Re: when loved one refuses to eat

E.V. Wallace
Does your family member have memory difficulties or Alzheimer's?  If so, there are specific eating tips relating to the difficulties of someone suffering with memory loss.  Let me know and I will write some tips for you.

Re: when loved one refuses to eat

bjeanworley
EV, my dad is 92, he does not have Alheimers but does suffer from short term memory problems.  He has NO appetite. I live with him and care for him. All he wants is those microwave soups.  Hospice has sent Glucerna which he does drink. He is diabetic as well. So he MUST eat after shots. One bite of a sandwich and he wants no hot cooked meals. He has trouble with his espohgus and swallowing. So, liquids are safe to him. Any suggestions as to how I can stimulate his appetite?